In mid-2019, I shared 9 Ways That Artificial Intelligence Might Disrupt Authors and Publishing, and one of those possible disruptions concerned voice technologies, which I also wrote about in Audio for Authors.
In 2020, we have seen an acceleration of AI with the release of GPT-3 for natural language processing and generation, as well as the development of ever more sophisticated voice recognition and creation. In this episode, Mark Leslie Lefebvre and I share a conversation between our Voice Doubles and our thoughts on the ramifications.
- Our Voice Double conversation
- Thoughts from some of my Patrons
- How we created the Voice Doubles using Descript with just 30 mins of training (reading a story)
- What we had to change and edit to get around a few of the pronunciation issues e.g. I could not get it to say ‘creatives' correctly so changed the word to ‘authors.' I also couldn't get it to say ‘mass-market' in my voice, so I changed that text as well.
- Our thoughts on the development of the tech and why we think it's important for authors and creatives to engage with the technology rather than avoid it
- A warning of deep fakes and why Kevin Kelly's 1000 True Fans is more important than ever
You can get your own Voice Double at Descript.com. You can find Mark at MarkLeslie.ca. Mark also recorded a special episode with more of his thoughts in episode 148 of Stark Reflections.
We'd love to know what you think so please leave a comment or tweet me @thecreativepenn and Mark @markleslie