An entrepreneur creates value with their ideas. They create a new reality based on thoughts and actions. That surely is the definition of an author!
When you're writing your first book, you don't necessarily think about running a business or consider yourself an entrepreneur, but if you keep writing and putting your words in the world consistently, the money will come.
You need to be prepared for success, and understanding the fundamentals of business will help you along the way.
In today's interview, I'm interviewed about my book, Business for Authors, and go through some of the key aspects you need to think about if you want to make a living with your writing.
Joanna Penn is an award-nominated, New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of thrillers under J.F.Penn. She also writes inspirational non-fiction for authors and is an award-winning creative entrepreneur and international professional speaker. Her site, TheCreativePenn.com is regularly voted one of the top 10 sites for writers and self-publishers.
Sukhi Jutla, serial entrepreneur and start-up founder, fin-tech expert, and new author of Escape the Cubicle interviews Joanna about her book, Business for Authors: How to be an Author Entrepreneur.
- What does it actually mean to be an author-entrepreneur as opposed to just an author?
- Why business is truly creative
- The key traits of the author-entrepreneur
- Why constant learning and re-starting after failure are so important
- How the journey of the first book differs to the view from book 25. The book as an employee, not as a baby!
- Why serving your audience is the key to a business
- The book as the ultimate scalable product, the power of intellectual property, and creating value from our brains
- The different business models for an author-entrepreneur, including fiction and non-fiction books
- The first step to taking your writing from hobby to business
- How to balance your time between creation, marketing and building a business
You can find Business for Authors: How to be an Author Entrepreneur in ebook, print and audiobook format on all major stores. It's the only audiobook I narrated if you're interested in that 🙂
Find Sukhi Jutla at: www.SukhiJ.com