Technology moves fast and the pandemic accelerated the changes to come. This page gathers my interviews and recommended resources on artificial intelligence and its impact on writers and publishing, as well as voice technologies, translation, and structural changes with blockchain and NFTs, with more to come.
Here are some of my articles and podcasts relating to how these future converging technologies will impact authors as well as recommended resources if you'd like to learn more.
- Writing and Creativity — with AI augmentation and tools
- Web 3, VR, AR, The Metaverse
- NFTs and Blockchain
- AI Voice Synthesis and Narration
Writing and Creativity — with AI augmentation
Artificial Intelligence is already embedded in so much of our daily lives and it's increasingly moving into realms that impact authors and other creatives. Ignoring it or denying its potential power will not make it go away. We need to embrace the opportunities and get involved in conversations around the possible threats.
I've always been interested in the intersection between creativity and technology. When AlphaGo beat Lee Sodol at Go in March 2016, it galvanized my interest in artificial intelligence and since then, I have been following the niche avidly, reading books, reporting on changes in the futurist segment on my weekly podcast, and considering the possibilities — and challenges — ahead.
- Writing Fiction with AI. Sudowrite with Amit Gupta
- Co-Creating with AI Writing and Image Tools with Shane Neeley
- The AI-Augmented Author: Writing with GPT-3 with Paul Bellow
- The Artist in the Machine: The World of AI-Powered Creativity with Arthur I. Miller
- Co-writing with Artificial Intelligence with Yudhanjaya Wijeratne
- The Creativity Code: AI and Creativity with Marcus du Sautoy
- Writing in an Age of Artificial Intelligence
- List of AI writing tools and services for journalism, creative writing, screenwriting, and more
- Robot Writers AI – Weekly newsletter/articles on how artificial intelligence is impacting the writing industry
- 9 Ways That Artificial Intelligence (AI) Will Disrupt Authors and Publishing in the Next 10 Years
- How Artificial Intelligence Will Cause a Seismic Shift in How We Produce and Discover Content Online. Interview with Joanna Penn on Yaro Starak's podcast
- A Techno-Optimist's View of the Creative Future. Joanna Penn on Kindle Chronicles Podcast
- Jan 2022: Submission to the UK government on AI and intellectual property rights, with the Alliance of Independent Authors
Web 3.0, The Metaverse, AR and VR
NFTs and Blockchain
- My NFTs as J.F. Penn
- Financial and Tax Implications of NFTs with Joe David, Crypto Accountant
- Creating Fictional Worlds with NFTs in Web 3 with Rae Wojcik and Stephen Poynter (April 2022)
- The Legal Side of Intellectual Property, NFTs, and DAOs with Kathryn Goldman (March 2022)
- Audio version of my video presentation on NFTs for Authors + an update on my first NFTs minted in March 2022
- Video Presentation: NFTs for Authors: Creativity, Collaboration, Community, and Cash (March 2022)
- The Creative Potential of NFTs for Authors with Joanna Penn and J. Thorn (Feb 2022)
- Creatokia. A World of Digital Originals with Jens Klingelhöfer and John Ruhrmann (Nov 2021)
- The Ownership Economy. Business Models Around NFTs with Jessica Artemisia (Oct 2021)
- NFTs for Authors. A Discussion with Joanna Penn and John Fox (June 2021)
- Copyright Law and Blockchain for Authors and Publishers in an Age of AI
- Copyright Protection, Smart Contracts, Digital Scarcity, and NFTs. Blockchain with Simon-Pierre Marion (March 2021)
- An Update on AI Narration for Audiobooks (May 2022)
- Digital Narration with AI Voices with Taylan Kamis from Deep Zen (Dec 2021)
- Voice Technologies, Streaming, and Subscription in an Age of AI
- Voice Double: The Development of an AI Voice
My Book on AI and the AI-Assisted Author Course
I have a book on AI and also a course if you want to learn more.
You can also subscribe to The Creative Penn Podcast where I share a regular futurist segment on AI updates that might impact authors and the publishing industry.
More Books and Resources
Check out the Future Freedom community for curated articles and audio on future-focused topics.
- AI 2041: Ten Visions For Our Future – Kai-Fu Lee and Chen Qiufan
- 12 Bytes: How We Got Here, Where We Might Go Next – Jeanette Winterson
- The Future is Faster Than You Think: How Converging Technologies are Transforming Business, Industries and Our Lives – Peter Diamandis and Steven Kotler
- AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order – Kai-Fu Lee
- The Inevitable: Understanding the 12 Technological Forces that Will Shape Our Future – Kevin Kelly
- The Creativity Code: How AI is Learning to Write, Paint and Think – Marcus du Sautoy
- The Artist in the Machine: The World of AI-Powered Creativity – Arthur I. Miller
- The Big Nine: How the Tech Titans and Their Thinking Machines Could Warp Humanity – Amy Webb
- Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow – Yuval Noah Harari
- Hello World: How to be Human in the Age of the Machine – Hannah Fry
- Singularity Hub blog
- WIRED magazine
- Exponential Wisdom Podcast with Peter Diamandis and Dan Sullivan