Technology moves fast and the pandemic accelerated the changes to come. This page gathers my interviews and recommended resources on artificial intelligence and its impact on writers and publishing, as well as voice technologies, translation, and structural changes with blockchain and NFTs, with more to come.
Artificial Intelligence is already embedded in so much of our daily lives and it's increasingly moving into realms that impact authors and other creatives. Ignoring it or denying its potential power will not make it go away. We need to embrace the opportunities and get involved in conversations around the possible threats.
I've always been interested in the intersection between creativity and technology. When AlphaGo beat Lee Sodol at Go in March 2016, it galvanized my interest in artificial intelligence and since then, I have been following the niche avidly, reading books, reporting on changes in the futurist segment on my weekly podcast, and considering the possibilities — and challenges — ahead.
Here are some of my articles and podcasts relating to how AI will impact authors as well as recommended resources if you'd like to learn more.
Writing and Creativity
- Writing Fiction with AI. Sudowrite with Amit Gupta
- Co-Creating with AI Writing and Image Tools with Shane Neeley
- The AI-Augmented Author: Writing with GPT-3 with Paul Bellow
- The Artist in the Machine: The World of AI-Powered Creativity with Arthur I. Miller
- Co-writing with Artificial Intelligence with Yudhanjaya Wijeratne
- The Creativity Code: AI and Creativity with Marcus du Sautoy
- Writing in an Age of Artificial Intelligence
- List of AI writing tools and services for journalism, creative writing, screenwriting, and more
- Robot Writers AI – Weekly newsletter/articles on how artificial intelligence is impacting the writing industry
- 9 Ways That Artificial Intelligence (AI) Will Disrupt Authors and Publishing in the Next 10 Years
- How Artificial Intelligence Will Cause a Seismic Shift in How We Produce and Discover Content Online. Interview with Joanna Penn on Yaro Starak's podcast
- A Techno-Optimist's View of the Creative Future. Joanna Penn on Kindle Chronicles Podcast
Web 3.0, The Metaverse, AR and VR
Copyright Law and Blockchain
- NFTs for Authors. A Discussion with Joanna Penn and John Fox (June 2021)
- Copyright Law and Blockchain for Authors and Publishers in an Age of AI
- Copyright Protection, Smart Contracts, Digital Scarcity, and NFTs. Blockchain with Simon-Pierre Marion
- Voice Technologies, Streaming, and Subscription in an Age of AI
- Voice Double: The Development of an AI Voice
You can also subscribe to The Creative Penn Podcast where I share a regular futurist segment on AI updates that might impact authors and the publishing industry.
More Books and Resources
- The Future is Faster Than You Think: How Converging Technologies are Transforming Business, Industries and Our Lives – Peter Diamandis and Steven Kotler
- AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order – Kai-Fu Lee
- The Inevitable: Understanding the 12 Technological Forces that Will Shape Our Future – Kevin Kelly
- The Creativity Code: How AI is Learning to Write, Paint and Think – Marcus du Sautoy
- The Artist in the Machine: The World of AI-Powered Creativity – Arthur I. Miller
- The Big Nine: How the Tech Titans and Their Thinking Machines Could Warp Humanity – Amy Webb
- Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow – Yuval Noah Harari
- Hello World: How to be Human in the Age of the Machine – Hannah Fry
- Singularity Hub blog
- WIRED magazine
- Exponential Wisdom Podcast with Peter Diamandis and Dan Sullivan