Authors have to do a lot of their own marketing.
That’s the reality of the publishing industry whether you get a publishing deal or you self-publish. But these days anyone can market globally using just a computer and their time. It will take effort but it doesn’t have to cost you much—and you might even enjoy it!
Everything I know about book marketing is available in the Amazon bestselling book How To Market A Book Third Edition. Click here to read more or buy links.
Below are lots of free articles, video and audio interviews and inspiration for marketing your books. [Please note: Some of the links below are affiliate links which means I make a small percentage of the sale if you buy through my link. I use all these services myself and only recommend those I trust, so I hope they are useful and you can always google them if you don't want to use my link. Thanks!]
(1) Start with the basics
Book Cover Design. Your book cover is one of the most important aspects of marketing your book. If the cover isn't enticing or doesn't resonate with your genre, no amount of marketing will help sell your book. You will also use the book cover in other aspects of marketing e.g. paid ads, on your website and social media, so it's a foundational piece of book marketing.
Need help with choosing categories and keywords? Check out Publisher Rocket
Ned help with researching the best categories and diving deep into genre reports? Check out K-lytics specific genre reports
(2) Build your author platform with a website and email list
(3) Use your books to market your books
(4) Paid advertising
Many authors now use aspects of paid advertising for marketing their books. You can use list services like Freebooksy, BargainBooksy, or BookBub Featured Deals, Pay per click ads like BookBub, Facebook, or Amazon Ads, or other forms of paid advertising.
But as with most things, it takes some time in to learn the skills. Here are some useful resources.
Check out the marketing resources from Written Word Media, including Freebooksy, BargainBooksy, and their Membership option with benefits for authors running regular promotions.
(5) Content marketing and social media
Mini course: Content Marketing for Fiction
(6) Author branding and book marketing strategy
The Ultimate Guide to Launching Your Book — from the Alliance of Independent Authors
Want more help?
How to Market a Book Third Edition is out in ebook, print and audiobook editions.
If you'd like some more help on your author journey, check out:
- My free Author 2.0 Blueprint ebook and video mini-series.
- My Books for Authors
- My Courses for Authors, including How to Write a Novel and How to Write Non-Fiction
- The Creative Penn Podcast, interviews, inspiration and information on writing, publishing, book marketing and creative entrepreneurship every Monday
- My videos at YouTube.com/thecreativepenn
- Join the Alliance of Independent Authors for education, advocacy, help and networking with other indie authors