The last few months have given us all a time to reflect. It's been a time of honesty and a time of examination. What do you really want? What do you want to let go of? What do you need to reclaim?
Every month, I do the Advanced Self-Publishing Salon with Orna Ross for the Alliance of Independent Authors and in this episode, we talk honestly about reassessing our author businesses in the wake of the pandemic and what we truly want to achieve in our writing careers. Memento mori. Remember, you will die. So what do you want to do in the time you have?
You can watch below or here on YouTube.
You can also listen below or here on the podcast feed.
We go through:
- Why now is a good time to reflect on what you really want to achieve with your author business
- “How you spend your days is how you spend your life.” Annie Dillard. If you are not achieving what you want to achieve, how are you spending your days?
- Examine your author mindset. Why haven't you done what you wanted to do? [I admit to being afraid as my fiction self, J.F.Penn, and some of the reasons why that may be.
- What does your author business eco-system look like now? What do you want it to look like? [For example, do you have an email list set up?]
- Creative business is not business as usual. Why we need to balance passion and profit.
- What is your author DNA? What are the commonalities across your books?
- Fear of judgment and why that is still my issue!
You can find more info here about the Alliance of Independent Authors and just search ‘Ask ALLi' or ‘Orna Ross' on your favorite podcast app to subscribe to the shows.