Blockchain technology offers exciting opportunities for authors and the publishing industry.
In this interview, Simon-Pierre Marion and I discuss copyright protection, smart contracts, estate management and faster, more transparent payments, as well as how digital scarcity could expand the revenue potential in the digital supply chain. Plus, I add some extra commentary on the potential of NFTs for authors since they are in the news a lot at the moment.
Simon-Pierre Marion is the CEO and founder of Scenarex, a Canadian company that builds blockchain publishing solutions. Their site, bookchain.ca, enables authors and publishers to publish on the Ethereum blockchain.
You can listen above or on your favorite podcast app or read the notes and links below. Here are the highlights and full transcript below.
- What exactly is blockchain technology? (although you don't need to understand it technically to appreciate its potential!)
- What's the difference between blockchain and cryptocurrency?
- Copyright protection with blockchain
- Smart contracts — payment splitting at transaction, reduction in back office overhead, estate management
- Resale of digital products, and payment through the whole chain of transactions
- The opportunities of digital scarcity and NFTs — plus, I add some extra commentary around NFTs for authors [27:12 mins]
- When will blockchain technology go mainstream?
You can find Simon-Pierre Marion at bookchain.ca and on Twitter @bookchainapp
You can also listen or read episode 519 on Copyright Law and Blockchain for Authors in an Age of AI, an excerpt from my book, Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain, and Virtual Worlds: The Impact of Converging Technologies On Authors and the Publishing Industry.