The 2010s saw the birth and growth of the independent author movement, so what do the 2020s have in store?
In this episode, Joanna Penn and Orna Ross discuss some trends for authors and publishing in the next decade, as well as some predictions on some things that may well happen in the next decade. Are you ready to surf the wave?
In the intro, I mention The Future is Faster Than You Think: How Converging Technologies Are Transforming Business, Industries, and Our Lives by Peter Diamandis and Steven Kotler.
Also, Mike Shatzkin's reflections on the changes in book publishing, and please help me bring you the most useful information and resources by completing my Creative Penn community survey and be in to win 1:1 consulting.
Orna Ross is an author, a poet, and the founder of the Alliance of Independent Authors. Her work for ALLi has seen her named as one of The Bookseller’s “100 top people in publishing.” Joanna Penn is an award-nominated fiction writer, award-winning creative entrepreneur, and podcaster.
You can listen above or on your favorite podcast app or read the notes and links below. Here are the highlights and the full transcript below.
- Check out our review of a decade of self-publishing here
- (1) Growth in global reading, why Android is so important, and why another billion internet users is so exciting
- (2) Publishing networks decentralize and distribute, authors will sell direct, and there may be a break up of big companies
- (3) Author business models diversify, with particular note of experiences, and sales on the blockchain
- (4) Growing adoption of technology by authors and publishers, including the impact of AI on copyright, natural language generation, and 5G. Plus, why we don't think neurotechnology will be used to write a book anytime soon
- (5) Audio becomes integral to the author business. Costs come down and AI voices will take audio into the mainstream and expand new forms of creation. Audio becomes ubiquitous.
- (6) Growth in personal publishing and the importance of personal brand, as well as the rise of a whole new wave of creators
- (7) Author empowerment and the importance of education around copyright and licensing
- What won't change in the 2020s
You can find Orna at www.OrnaRoss.com and at the Alliance of Independent Authors. Joanna and Orna also do a monthly Advanced Self-Publishing Salon on the Ask ALLi Podcast available on your favorite podcast app. This episode originally aired on Jan 8, 2020 on the Ask Alli podcast.