We're all busy and life seems increasingly chaotic, so how do we find the time and focus to write? In today's show, I talk to Jessica Abel, a comic book artist turned prose writer and creative teacher, about finding your focus and moving past procrastination to get your creative work done.
In the intro, I mention Frankfurt Book Fair and the launch of Blockchain for Books by the Alliance of Independent Authors, plus my thoughts on seeing Dan Brown speak about Origin and my own writing update as I prepare to head to the US.
Today's show is sponsored by IngramSpark, who I use to print and distribute my print-on-demand books to 39,000 retailers including independent bookstores, schools and universities, libraries and more. It's your content – do more with it through IngramSpark.com.
Jessica Abel is an author, cartoonist, and creative teacher. Her books include the award-winning graphic novel La Perdida, Mastering Comics, as well as Out on the Wire, about the storytelling techniques of the best audio producers in the world, including Ira Glass. Her latest book is Growing Gills: How to Find Creative Focus When You're Drowning in Your Daily Life.
- Moving from hand-sewn books to print-on-demand
- The problems creatives have with focus
- Tips for organizing and managing creative projects
- Figuring out how you are actually spending your time so you can focus more on creativity
- Knowing which projects to start and finish
- Jessica's Creative Focus Workshop
You can find Jessica Abel at JessicaAbel.com and on Twitter @jccabel