Romance writers are ahead of the curve when it comes to marketing, so whatever your genre, you'll definitely pick up some ideas from this discussion with J.A.Huss.
In the intro, I mention physical merchandising with Society6.com. Click here to check out the Creative Mug, and get some ideas about your own author merch.
I talk about my few days off in Devon and how we're lucky to be able to schedule promos in advance, why I prefer spike marketing for fiction, Michael Lister on the SellMoreBooksShow re hitting the USA Today list and print-on-demand books on Walmart through Expanded Distribution.
If you want to automate your author marketing, join me and Nick Stephenson for an info-packed webinar plus wine-fueled banter on Thurs 18 August at 3pm US Eastern, 8pm UK. Click here to learn more or book your place.
This podcast is sponsored by Kobo Writing Life, which helps authors self-publish and reach readers in global markets through the Kobo eco-system. You can also subscribe to the Kobo Writing Life podcast for interviews with successful indie authors.
J.A Huss is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over 20 romances, including new adult romance, romantic suspense and epic sci-fi/fantasy.
- On JA Huss's beginnings writing textbooks and then science fiction.
- On the romance genre and what it gives readers that they can't get elsewhere.
- The obligatory scenes in a romance novel and how to avoid boredom as a writer.
- JA's plotting tools and strategy.
- Building confidence as a writer.
- Using giveaways as a marketing tool and the time it takes to build marketing platforms.
- Using groups in Facebook, vs. having just an author page.
- Blogging as a marketing strategy for fiction authors.
- Strategies to avoid burn-out.
You can find Julie at www.JAHuss.com or on twitter @jahuss