OLD POST ALERT! This is an older post and although you might find some useful tips, any technical or publishing information is likely to be out of date. Please click on Start Here on the menu bar above to find links to my most useful articles, videos and podcast. Thanks and happy writing! – Joanna Penn
On writing romance and the experience of being a first time novelist with Dean Mayes.
Dean Mayes is the author of romance novel, ‘The Hambledown Dream‘ and a pediatric nurse based in Adelaide, Australia.
In this podcast, you will learn:
- How Dean's 7 year journey has played out from first ideas to published author, and how the idea for the novel just didn't go away
- About his book, ‘The Hambledown Dream', a paranormal romance, and how it just so happened that paranormal romance became popular while he was writing it
- How Dean started writing the book on a blog for free, and was ‘found' by publisher, IReadIWrite Publishing through his site
- How a typical Aussie bloke came to be writing romance (see The Paperback Hero for inspiration!)
- Some keys for writing romance: solid and believable relationships based on solid and believable characters
- Writing sex scenes that are appropriate but also are a key part of romance genre. Drawing the line between romance and erotica. Deciding on what to include is a fine line and you need to be true to your character and what you want people to judge you as.
- How Dean launched the book and how he is promoting it. A comparison between online and offline promotion, what has worked for Dean and what has been difficult/time-consuming and also the best for sales. How he used his existing online presence to start selling the book (even though it was not in his exact target market). How to use your time wisely for online marketing.
- How the writing and blog community is fabulous and supportive – we all need to support each other! A great example of marketing is the Reader's Gallery where you get people to send in pictures of them with the book.