The good news! It is absolutely possible to make a living with your writing. I know this because I make a multi-six-figure income from my writing these days.
But importantly, this is not a get rich quick scheme.
I started writing in 2006, left my job in 2011 and it was 2015 before I was making six figures. I now have 30+ books, two podcasts and many different income streams. The author business model is a marathon, not a sprint.
I spent 13 years as a business consultant before becoming a full-time author and speaker. I absolutely consider myself an entrepreneur as well as a creative, but I realize that most authors don't have the business background I do.
So I'm passionate about sharing the business side of being an author in this exciting digital age!
I also have a mini-course on Multiple Streams of Income.
Read on for selected excerpts and other useful articles on how to make a living as an author.
Take your books further
If you self-publish, you can choose any option to take your books further. If have already signed a publishing contract, check what rights you have licensed. For example, have you licensed ebook and print English language rights to UK and Commonwealth territories?
If yes, you could self-publish in the USA, Canada and the rest of the world in ebook and print, or license those rights to another party. You could also do an audiobook edition, and license the translation rights. So go check your contracts. You could be leaving money on the table!
For more on publishing, check out my free ebook, Successful Self-Publishing, also available in print and audiobook.
Interviews on writing and money
This is just a selection of interviews from The Creative Penn Podcast, available every Monday.
Need more help?
- My free Author 2.0 Blueprint ebook and video mini-series.
- My Books for Authors, including Successful Self-Publishing: How to self-publish in ebook and print
- My Courses for Authors, including How to Write a Novel and How to Write Non-Fiction
- The Creative Penn Podcast, interviews, inspiration and information on writing, publishing, book marketing and creative entrepreneurship every Monday
- My videos at YouTube.com/thecreativepenn
- Join the Alliance of Independent Authors for education, advocacy, help and networking with other indie authors