Most authors dream of seeing their books turned into film/TV, so millions of people can experience their worlds. In today's show, J.A.Huss and Johnathan McClain tell the story of how they worked together to turn Julie's books into a successful TV pitch.
Plus, I have updated all my main landing pages on writing fiction, writing non-fiction, publishing, marketing, making a living with your writing, and the author mindset. You can find everything on my Resources page here.
This podcast is sponsored by Kobo Writing Life, which helps authors self-publish and reach readers in global markets through the Kobo eco-system. You can also subscribe to the Kobo Writing Life podcast for interviews with successful indie authors.
J.A.Huss is an award-nominated New York Times and USA Today best-selling romance author with millions of copies of her awesome books sold around the world.
[Julie was previously on the podcast talking about writing and marketing romance.]
Johnathan McClain is an award-winning stage actor, screenwriter, and film and TV actor, appearing in programs like Grey's Anatomy and Mad Men. He's also an award-winning audiobook narrator.
Julie and Johnathan co-write as Huss McClain.
- How Julie and Johnathan initially connected through audiobook narration
- How the relationship grew from narrator and author to producing partners
- The challenges of adapting a world that is so large in scope
- How things fell into place when Julie and Johnathan were pitching their idea
- The differences between creating and pitching an idea
- Pitfalls to be aware of and tips for success in the Hollywood arena, including have a good entertainment lawyer
- The importance of gut-check moments
You can find Huss McClain at HussMcClain.com. Julie is on Twitter @JAHuss. Johnathan is on Twitter @MisterJMcClain