How can you prevent self-doubt and fear from blocking your creative expression? What if you've built an audience for your books, but then you want to change direction? I discuss these issues and more with Holly Worton.
In the intro, Draft2Digital introduce payment splitting; Long-term and ‘wide' thinking with Sarah Painter on the 6 Figure Author Podcast; the Alliance of Independent Authors downgrades ACX to Caution as a self-publishing service and The Authors Guild starts a petition to stop Audible's unfair exchange policy; and more on #Audiblegate at Fair Deal for Rights Holders and Narrators on Facebook. My thoughts on the UK's FutureBook conference including audio and unlimited streaming and subscription services, global, digital-first publishing, and more. Check out #futurebook20 on Twitter if you want to see some highlights.
Plus, Your Author Business Plan: Take Your Author Career to the Next Level is on pre-order for ebooks at some stores, and available on 10 Dec everywhere.
Today's show is sponsored by Draft2Digital, where you can get free ebook formatting, free distribution to multiple stores, and a host of other benefits. Get your free Author Marketing Guide at www.draft2digital.com/penn
Holly Worton is the author of 17 nonfiction and self-help books about business mindset and personal growth, as well as on walking and the wisdom of trees and nature. She's also the host of the Into the Woods podcast.
You can listen above or on your favorite podcast app or read the notes and links below. Here are the highlights and full transcript below.
- Common mindset issues that authors face
- How to move past the beliefs or fears that block our creative freedom and business success
- Building the ‘vulnerability' muscle
- Taking action on what we really want
- Making space to allow for a new direction
- Creating book assets from podcast transcriptions
- How do you know if you have an issue with money?
- How to use a ‘workation' to finish your book
- How to pivot your author career when you've already established a brand
You can find Holly Worton at HollyWorton.com and on Twitter @hollyworton