Many authors dream of seeing their book turned into a film or TV show, but what are the realities of pitching and even getting optioned? In today's show, DJ Williams shares his experience and tips.
Need help with the business side of writing? Check out the limited time special: www.StoryBundle.com/writing
Today's show is sponsored by PublishDrive, a global self-publishing platform distributing to 400+ stores and 240,000 libraries, with innovative marketing tools like integrated Amazon Ads. The writing process is hard enough, so the publishing and marketing process should be easier. PublishDrive helps authors write more, publish more, sell more and worry less. Go to www.PublishDrive.com to learn more.
DJ Williams is a TV executive director and producer with more than 400 episodes of broadcast TV syndicated worldwide. He's also the author of three novels, including The Auctioneer described as ‘Bourne meets Bond meets National Treasure'.
- On the shift from directing for TV to writing novels
- Finding an agent who specializes in your genre
- Pitching to a streaming service like Netflix or Amazon Prime
- Once again, the importance of intellectual property rights
- Podcast episode with John Grisham and Harlan Coben that Derek refers to. Also check out the book, Hollywood vs the Author for Michael Connelly's story and more.
- Our thoughts on Taleflick.com – you can get $8 off if you use my link: www.TheCreativePenn.com/taleflick
- On what authors can bring to their pitches that will keep them involved with the production
- Compressing your idea down to the short ‘logline’ to use during pitching
- Hollywood’s search for stories that are unique and producable
- Tips on how to find production companies
You can find DJ Williams at djwilliams.com and on Twitter @djwilliams316