Many writers struggle with depression, and so it's important to talk about how to manage creativity alongside mental health issues. I hope you find today's interview with Michaelbrent Collings useful whether you struggle yourself, or someone you love is affected.
In the intro, I give a personal update on my own writing, and mention the new integration between Scrivener and Vellum. I use both in my process, writing in Scrivener and formatting in Vellum. Here's my list of formatting options, and here's my tutorial on using Vellum.
This podcast is sponsored by Kobo Writing Life, which helps authors self-publish and reach readers in global markets through the Kobo eco-system. You can also subscribe to the Kobo Writing Life podcast for interviews with successful indie authors.
Michaelbrent Collings is an award-winning, and internationally bestselling horror novelist and screenwriter. His novel, The Deep, was a finalist in the Bram Stoker Awards. Michaelbrent also suffers from depression, and that's what we're talking about today.
- On how depression affects Michaelbrent
- Also, what not to do if you know someone with depression
- What helps Michaelbrent cope with his depressive episodes
- Using the darkness in writing
- Tips for writing while dealing with depression
- On screenwriting and tips for breaking into it
- Rebranding books with new covers
You can find Michaelbrent at www.WrittenInsomnia.com and on Twitter @mbcollings