OLD POST ALERT! This is an older post and although you might find some useful tips, any technical or publishing information is likely to be out of date. Please click on Start Here on the menu bar above to find links to my most useful articles, videos and podcast. Thanks and happy writing! – Joanna Penn
Blogging is fantastic for accountability!
Studies show that if you write a goal down, you are far more likely to achieve it. I blogged my 2010 goals for The Creative Penn in January. Here's how the year went:
- Complete my first novel by the end of 2010. It was called ‘Mandala' and now it's called ‘Pentecost' but it is complete and will launch in Feb 2011 after ebook formatting and self-publishing through LightningSource. It's Dan Brown meets Lara Croft in a religious action thriller! I have started working on ideas for the sequel, ‘Prophecy'. I really don't know if I would have completed it without the knowledge I was accountable to you all. I try to practice what I preach and that drove me on through the bad patches!
- Become no. 1 on Australia's Top Writing Blogs. Hmm, well I'm still at no. 4 which is all good 🙂 PLUS/ the blog is #8 on Top 10 Blogs for Writers on WriteToDone which is mainly a US audience so perhaps that makes up for it! Thanks again for your votes!
- Relaunch Author 2.0. I did launch one of the modules as a stand-alone, ‘Blogging for Authors and Writers' which is proving popular. I do intend to relaunch some other modules next year but clearly, I've been busy on other projects 🙂
Become a full Member of National Speaker's Association Australia. There are a number of prerequisites for this including a specified number of paid speaking events as well as proven competence in a number of skills. My Membership confirmation came through on Christmas Eve so I have reached this goal. I have certainly improved my speaking this year, with the highlight being a 5 day Bali writer's retreat where I was the main speaker. If you're in Brisbane, I'll be speaking at the Queensland Writer's Centre on Blogging and Social Networking in April.
- Create videos weekly. I missed a few months at the beginning of the year, but now the videos are starting to speed up and my skills at editing are improving. Video posts and interviews are now a core part of the blog, and I hope you're enjoying them! You can see all my videos on YouTube/TheCreativePenn. I really believe video is a great way to connect and set yourself apart from the crowd, especially in a text based market like writing.
- Create an iPhone app. I didn't even think about this again. I'm not that concerned with this anymore either, so scrap that from the list!
- Keep to the blogging schedule and answer reader's questions. I'm happy to have blogged every 2-3 days all year, scheduling through my holidays. I hope I have answered all your questions either by email or by blog posts. Please continue to send them in to me: joanna AT TheCreativePenn.com
- Core blogging, podcasting and social networking activities as an ongoing event as well as the day job. All ticked off. My Facebook page has more followers, Twitter is booming, I love my podcast and I've hit 2 years blogging. I'm also still working 4 days a week which pays the bills.
Overall, I'm extremely happy with progress this year in all areas. I'm a goal-orientated person so this type of thing floats my boat. It might not be yours, so no worries if you don't want to join in the accountability drive 🙂