OLD POST ALERT! This is an older post and although you might find some useful tips, any technical or publishing information is likely to be out of date. Please click on Start Here on the menu bar above to find links to my most useful articles, videos and podcast. Thanks and happy writing! – Joanna Penn
A few days ago, I shared some generic writer's New Year's Resolutions that I think people need to consider.
Here are my personal goals for the year, both for my own writing and for TheCreativePenn.com blog.
I share these to make myself accountable to you as well as to inspire you to add your own. I'll be sharing my progress throughout the year so you can see how I am going. If you don't have a target, you will never hit it!
- Keep to the blogging schedule and answer all the questions from my blog survey – all 401 of them!
- Complete my first novel, Mandala, by end 2010. Learn a lot along the way and share it with you!
- Become no. 1 on Australia's Top Writing Blogs (currently at no. 4)
- Relaunch updated Author 2.0 – Build Your Online Platform with Web 2.0 Tools
- Become a full Member of the National Speakers Association. (You can only become a member when you have a specific number of paid speaking gigs).
- Become an international speaker with my first writers teaching retreat in Bali (anyone want to come?!)
- Create videos weekly for YouTube and expand my video presence in 2010.
- Create an iPhone app for my writing books and the blog
These are core content producing and social networking activities that build my author platform over time. A little every day helps! If I am going to find an agent this time next year for my book, then I want to have a great online platform when I pitch.
Yes, I will also continue to work 4 days a week as a business IT consultant as well as having a happy marriage. We all have to find the time for these things! I will be getting up at 5am several times a week to write the novel. It's the only way I see it happening. Check this post on Zen Habits for getting up early tips if you like your sleep like me!
Will you share some of your writing goals in the comments?