OLD POST ALERT! This is an older post and although you might find some useful tips, any technical or publishing information is likely to be out of date. Please click on Start Here on the menu bar above to find links to my most useful articles, videos and podcast. Thanks and happy writing! – Joanna Penn
Authenticity is incredibly important these days as people are sick of the marketing spin that is used by so many. You as an individual are unique and therefore no one else can be like you. Your writer's voice needs to be just as authentic – but how do you find that authentic voice?
Julia McCutchen is the founder and creative director of the International Association of Conscious and Creative Writers (IACCW) where writers discover their authentic voice – on the page and in the world. Julia is also an intuitive writer's coach, mentor and professional publishing consultant based in the UK, as well as the author of ‘The Writer's Journey: From Inspiration to Publication'.
In this podcast, you will learn:
- About Julia's own journey through publishing, consultancy to the facilitation of other people's authentic voice. After an accident that left her unable to work for a year, Julia reassessed her life and started focusing on mentoring writers. She has recently started IACCW which teaches the principles of being a conscious and creative writer, as well as the practical tools for publishing.
- What is the writer's voice? Journey into yourself to discover who you are authentically, combining your unique gifts and expression in congruent forms and then reaching as many people as you can with it. Expressing your own truth in the world – through content and style.
- How does writing fiction novels benefit others in the world? Example of Marian Keyes, chick-lit author – she includes authenticity when she speaks about her success. Write a book that others would like to read. Storytelling is an important part of the human experience. People pick up on a resonance of truth.
- Why it's important to discover your authentic voice. You can access a deeper part of your true creative potential. It's also a great way to stand out in an incredibly crowded marketplace. There are millions of aspiring authors, but you are unique so no one else can be you. Authenticity is one of your greatest strengths. Fame and fortune also tend to be the preserve of the few, therefore being authentic can be a reward in itself, along with creative satisfaction.
- How do you find your authentic writer's voice? Julia discusses the 5 main points as follows: (1) Stop and be still in the present moment. (2) Embrace the mystery. (3) Sharpen your senses. (4) Explore new possibilities. (5) Go with the flow.
- How to combine the practicalities of being authentic through your online presence and your marketing efforts. People want a real connection. For example, put a real picture of you on your site so it is personal and original.
- Write from your heart but pay attention to the publishing market. You will get the best results this way!
You can reach Julia at IACCW, as well as at JuliaMcCutchen.com. She is also on Twitter @JuliaMcCutchen