Trevor Young, the PR Warrior, has worked in PR and marketing for 20 years. Recently he co-founded ParkYoung, a PR and marketing communications firm in Melbourne, Australia. He also has a podcast, Parky and The Warrior.
He has helped author Iggy Pintado with online book promotion which is why I wanted to interview him. Iggy was featured on a podcast last month on connection. Trevor is also helping social media author David Meerman Scott on his book tour in Australia
In this podcast, you will learn:
- How marketing and PR have changed with the advent of social media
- Why authors need to learn about marketing
- Why being an author is a brand
- Why you should build your brand and your profile before you finish your book
- Ideas for getting online promotion – targetting bloggers, traditional media and having a Tweetblitz day
- Having a conversations with influencers that spreads is a key message
- Why you would hire a PR partner and how you can do it yourself
- How you need to make sure your name is a brand and easily found on the internet
- Explaining “branding” from an author’s perspective – why consistency is so important
- 50% of marketing works – but which 50%? Does marketing actually impact book sales – and if not, why do we do it?
- What’s the difference between social media and social networking?
- Why Twitter is like “networking on steroids” and can expand your sphere of influence
- Why you need all different kinds of marketing – traditional media, bloggers and social media all feeding off each other
- Gary Vaynerchuk’s example of building a platform and then gaining media attention. See more about his 10 book deal here.
- How to pitch journalists on Twitter, as well as bloggers and journalists – get to know them first
- How to find the best publicist for you and your book