OLD POST ALERT! This is an older post and although you might find some useful tips, any technical or publishing information is likely to be out of date. Please click on Start Here on the menu bar above to find links to my most useful articles, videos and podcast. Thanks and happy writing! – Joanna Penn
Trevor Young, the PR Warrior, has worked in PR and marketing for 20 years. Recently he co-founded ParkYoung, a PR and marketing communications firm in Melbourne, Australia. He also has a podcast, Parky and The Warrior.
He has helped author Iggy Pintado with online book promotion which is why I wanted to interview him. Iggy was featured on a podcast last month on connection. Trevor is also helping social media author David Meerman Scott on his book tour in Australia
In this podcast, you will learn:
- How marketing and PR have changed with the advent of social media
- Why authors need to learn about marketing
- Why being an author is a brand
- Why you should build your brand and your profile before you finish your book
- Ideas for getting online promotion – targetting bloggers, traditional media and having a Tweetblitz day
- Having a conversation with influencers that spreads is a key message
- Why you would hire a PR partner and how you can do it yourself
- How you need to make sure your name is a brand and easily found on the internet
- Explaining “branding” from an author's perspective – why consistency is so important
- 50% of marketing works – but which 50%? Does marketing actually impact book sales – and if not, why do we do it?
- What's the difference between social media and social networking?
- Why Twitter is like “networking on steroids” and can expand your sphere of influence
- Why you need all different kinds of marketing – traditional media, bloggers and social media all feeding off each other
- Gary Vaynerchuk's example of building a platform and then gaining media attention.
- How to pitch journalists on Twitter, as well as bloggers and journalists – get to know them first
- How to find the best publicist for you and your book
You can find Trevor Young at his blog PR Warrior and also on Twitter @trevoryoung