Do you want to write a non-fiction book but don't know where to start? Or perhaps you worry that you're not an expert or have enough authority in your niche to write a book on it?
Are you ready to help other people and change your own life with your words?
The first non-fiction book I wrote changed my life. Sure, it helped other people, but mostly it altered the course of my life – so much so that 10 years later, I make a living with my writing.
In this book, I'll share everything I've learned along the way and save you time, effort and frustration on your author journey.
Purchase now in ebook, print, large print, workbook, or audiobook format!
Write your answers into the print workbook edition!
You can buy a companion workbook, which contains all the questions asked in the book and has space for you to write the answers. Click here to buy in print only on Amazon.
Table of Contents:
Part 1. Before You Write: Mindset
- Why write a non-fiction book?
- Can I write a book if I'm not an expert?
- Originality. Or, “there are so many other books on this topic”
- Who are you? Personal stories and the writer's voice
- The day a non-fiction book changed my life
- Fear and self-doubt
Part 2. Before You Write: Business
- Types of non-fiction books
- Business models for non-fiction books
- Who is your book for? Identify your target market
- Decide on the topic for your book
- Decide on your book title
- Your author name and pseudonyms
- How long does your book have to be?
- How long will it take to write the book?
- Your perspective on time
- Writing a book proposal
Part 3. Writing and Editing
- Gather and organize existing material
- Research, interviews, surveys, and social listening
- Structure and organize the book
- How to write the first draft
- How to dictate your book
- Turn your blog/podcasts/videos/talks into a book
- Speed, quality and perfectionism
- Focus and shiny object syndrome
- Writer's block
- Co-writing a non-fiction book
- How to turn a boring book into an engaging read
- Elements of fiction in non-fiction
- Does non-fiction have to be true?
- Legal issues: Using real people, quotes, lyrics, images, and citing sources
- Self-editing a book
- How to find and work with professional editors
Part 4. Publishing and Product Creation
- Your publishing options
- Use different formats to create multiple streams of income
- Non-fiction book covers
- Book formatting for non-fiction
- Pricing your book
- Your book sales description
- Categories and keywords
- Turn your non-fiction book into a multimedia course
- Updating your books over time
Part 5. Marketing Non-Fiction
- Two models of marketing and the importance of mindset
- Book-centered marketing
- Paid advertising for non-fiction books
- Author-centered marketing. The power of a personal brand
- Build your author website
- Build an email list
- Integrate email marketing with your book
- Content marketing for non-fiction books
- My non-fiction marketing journey
Conclusion and your next steps.
It's time to (finally) write your non-fiction book!