On the last Tuesday of the month, I spend an hour discussing the latest news and events in the publishing industry with Orna Ross, founder of the Alliance of Independent Authors, poet and author of historical fiction and non-fiction.
Orna is a friend as well as a creative mentor, she's been in the publishing industry for 20+ years as a writer, agent and publisher as well as activist for authors' rights.
I wanted to bring this show to your attention because we always talk about interesting things, but this month was particularly fascinating. We discuss:
- Writers and money, art and business, creative and commercial. I reflect on my trip to Venice to see Damien Hirst, an artist who combines money and art, and we talk about Orna's new book on How Authors Create Money and Meaning. Plus the emergence of a digital economy for creatives and why we're excited about that!
- Updates on the Indie Author Fringe alongside Book Expo (you can watch all the session replays here), as well as the upcoming release of How to Get your Self-Published Book into Bookstores
- The Amazon Buy Button controversy and whether it might change the traditional publishing practice of remaindering books that don't sell for pennies – so that they can be resold by other dealers
- Fake news in the media about ebooks vs print – don't trust everything you read.
- How many traditionally published authors are now considering going hybrid – they might have sold UK Commonwealth or US Canada and are now considering going indie in other territories, but many are still keeping quiet about it.
- What's changed in the last 3 years in book marketing – and my Third Edition of How to Market a Book, currently on pre-order. Plus, how I've been marketing the first in my new sweet romance series co-written under a pen-name with my Mum, with no platform or email list or social media.
- The launch of Vellum for print formatting as well as ebook formatting. It's amazing! KDP Print plus print boxsets.
- My breakdown of the last years book sales data – and what that means for my focus in the next year
- Amazon Charts, and a discussion of the attention economy and how we have to consider ways to break through the noise in order to reach readers
You can read the transcript at the bottom of the post, watch the video below, or here on YouTube.
You can listen or download the audio from SoundCloud here.
You can find Orna at www.OrnaRoss.com and on twitter @ornaross and regularly on the ALLi blog, www.SelfPublishingAdvice.org. You can check out the Alliance of Independent Authors here. (I'm a proud and happy member!) You can join us live on the next Salon on Tues 27 June at 3pm US Eastern, 8pm UK. You'll find us on Orna's YouTube account here.