I first met David when he had just written his first novel, and now he runs a small press and has a whole universe of fiction. Here's some of his lessons learned along the way.
Check out the Alliance of Independent Author's new Watchdog listing of publishers with warnings for the dodgy ones. I also talk about Vellum for ebook formatting, and my new thriller audiobook, Destroyer of Worlds, ARKANE #8.
This podcast is sponsored by Kobo Writing Life, which helps authors self-publish and reach readers in global markets through the Kobo eco-system. You can also subscribe to the Kobo Writing Life podcast for interviews with successful indie authors.
David Wood is the bestselling author of the Dane Maddock action adventure thriller series, and also writes fantasy novels under David Debord. He also runs Gryphonwood Press, a small (indie-minded) publisher and runs the AuthorCast podcast with Alan Baxter, who was recently on the show.
- The changes in David's life since he went full-time as an author in 2011.
- How David decided which series to focus on when he started writing more, and letting the market dictate his writing direction.
- On David's co-writing model, and working in KindleWorlds.
- Whether David plans his writing career.
- On being a publisher of other authors' work and where David sees the smaller, indie-minded publishers going.
- Changes in the audiobook world and the income from audio for indies, and what the future of audio might hold.
- On whether podcasting is a good marketing strategy.
- Why David goes to different conventions and what he gets from them.