OLD POST ALERT! This is an older post and although you might find some useful tips, any technical or publishing information is likely to be out of date. Please click on Start Here on the menu bar above to find links to my most useful articles, videos and podcast. Thanks and happy writing! – Joanna Penn
- You must build an author platform online. Authors need to be able to market their own book.
- Authors should be blogging and using social networks like Twitter and Facebook to connect with their fans
- Authors should be doing video and podcasting, and reaching out to their fans with multi-media
- Publishers want authors who have an audience already, preferably an online global one.
- Ebooks are a massive growth market, and you need to be selling your work on digital platforms
All of these statements represent the zeitgeist for authors and writers.
This is the time to be grabbing your online real estate and building your presence online.
People who get ahead of the curve will have the advantage when the rest of the writers/authors finally get involved. The internet compounds over time. It takes time to build an audience and grow one. It starts slow but once it's going, it only builds. I have seen this myself in the last 18 months since I started this blog and doing podcasts, videos and ebooks. You have seen this too in the information from publishers, agents, bloggers and other successful writers. The author platform is not negotiable anymore – you must have one.
So how do you learn all about it, especially if you are a bit wary of the technology?
One way is to struggle away on your own, fighting your way through information and trying to do it yourself.
Another way is to come to Bali with me and learn all about these Author 2.0 tools while relaxing with yoga and massage, experiencing Balinese culture and eating really well!
Yes, there are still a few places left on the writer's retreat I am speaking at in Bali! I will be presenting sessions over the 5 days on:
- Creativity, ideas and practical tips for getting your book actually written
- The Publishing Quadrant including how to use print-on-demand services to publish your book to Amazon.com plus how to publish your ebooks to the Kindle, iPhone and iPad
- How to build your author platform online including an author tech masterclass where we'll get into all the detail to help you build the basics as we go through.
- How to make multiple streams of income from your book including how to make and sell online digital products (yes, make money while you sleep!), and how to build a speaking career
Because this is a small group retreat, the sessions will be tailored to your level of expertise and you'll be able to get targeted help on what you are struggling with in particular. There will even be hands on sessions when we will make and edit video, start or improve your blog, publish ebooks and whatever else you have issues with. This will be a practical but also inspirational few days!
As part of the package, you will also get:
- Five nights stay in the luxurious Kumara resort
- Full Writer's Retreat Program. 6 hours of instruction per day and many hours of informal sharing and information exchange between students and teacher including the evening Writer's Group where you can share your work in progress. All the workshop material will be available for download after the retreat so you have all the information you need to be successful.
- Use of the resort's 2 pools, yoga pavilion, gorgeous gardens and pathways, and spa
- One free relaxing massage at the resort's onsite spa (massage therapists available for other treatments)
- 3 gourmet meals per day
- Balinese cultural activities including a dance performance, and a guided walk through the rice paddies with lunch at one of Ubud's most popular rice paddy restaurants, Sari Organic
- Discount for the Ubud Writer's Festival, which many people are staying on for
It's going to be a fantastic time, and I would love to spend time with you in Bali!
Yes, it's going to cost you some money. But you will learn so much that will save you time, money and effort in your Author 2.0 journey plus/ you get a great holiday. This is for people who are committed to making money and being successful as a writer, and you will have all your questions answered in the time we spend together.
To find out all the details and to book, click here now. (site has some sound so turn down the volume)
Here are some other posts on the retreat: