OLD POST ALERT! This is an older post and although you might find some useful tips, any technical or publishing information is likely to be out of date. Please click on Start Here on the menu bar above to find links to my most useful articles, videos and podcast. Thanks and happy writing! – Joanna Penn
This is a fun and interesting podcast to listen to with some real gems for authors!
Tony Eldridge is the author of action-adventure novel “The Samson Effect”, endorsed by Clive Cussler and optioned for a movie deal. He also runs the Marketing Tips for Authors blog which is packed with great information on book marketing, including weekly video tips.
In this podcast, you will learn:
- How Tony wrote “The Lottery Ticket” after reading books on writing. Writing the novel taught him how to write.
- How his role as a Sales and Marketing director for a video training company helped in marketing his books and his blog
- It took a year to write the first book, but the lessons learned were so valuable in writing the next one. Sometimes you just have to move on.
- How ideas flow after you start writing, and how that first book is unlikely to be the last – so just get going!
- On Starbucks as a venue for writing
- The action-adventure authors that have inspired Tony – James Rollins, Clive Cussler (plus Indiana Jones movies). The book is also Dan Brown-esque in its religious artifact theme.
- The story of how Tony got a book blurb quote from Clive Cussler – and how you can get A list author quotes too by learning from his example
- On self-publishing his book through iUniverse and how sales were affected by the Clive Cussler quote
- On writing the sequel to “The Samson Effect” at the request of the Hollywood producer who has optioned the book
- The crazy coincidence that led to the interest of this Hollywood producer, and how movie options work
- On Marketing Tips for Authors, and Tony's 3 top tips for authors: Relationship building, platform building and finding the right tools to allow you to be everywhere on the internet
- Using video tips to drive traffic and list-building as a marketing tool
- On the possibility of podcasting the novel
You can find Tony at Marketing Tips for Authors and also on Twitter @tonyeldridge