OLD POST ALERT! This is an older post and although you might find some useful tips, any technical or publishing information is likely to be out of date. Please click on Start Here on the menu bar above to find links to my most useful articles, videos and podcast. Thanks and happy writing! – Joanna Penn
This is an interview I did with Frankie Mueller from Book Tours Virtually a few months ago. It is all about the process of writing and getting your ideas from the page into a book form. I am still learning, so hopefully so of this helps you too! You can follow Frankie Mueller on Twitter.
In this podcast, you will learn:
- About me and how I got started in writing, and why I started The Creative Penn
- What is stopping you from writing your book (and how the literary giants stopped me)
- How I wrote the book I needed to write and that was burning on my heart
- Using a deadline can help you to actually finish the book you are writing, or want to write
- Thoughts on finding your target audience
- Use your book to write articles, or your articles to write a book
- Your book will make you an expert, so make sure you are certain you want to pursue that area!
- How “fair use” works: Using quotes as opposed to plagiarism
- If you need other author's permission, build a relationship through Twitter to talk to them
- How to do research without danger of plagiarism
- How to structure your book – top down or bottom up
- Why I did a workbook for “How to Enjoy Your Job“
- About self-publishing and print-on-demand, and using Smashwords.com for ebooks
- Why you need to do your own marketing and Example of a free marketing plan
- 3 ways to marketing your book online: Blogging, Podcasting, and Twitter
- On virtual blog book tours
- Using surveys and competitions to get traffic and information on your audience – I use SurveyMonkey
- About blogging and how great it is – start a blog if you are “blocked”!
- Using proofreaders to give you feedback
- Finding an editor – great post here from Self Pub Review
- On self-publishing options and book cover design