OLD POST ALERT! This is an older post and although you might find some useful tips, any technical or publishing information is likely to be out of date. Please click on Start Here on the menu bar above to find links to my most useful articles, videos and podcast. Thanks and happy writing! – Joanna Penn
A few weeks ago I posted on Gary Vaynerchuk's 7 figure, 10 book deal with Harper Collins.
His first book, Crush It!: Why NOW Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion is already available for pre-order! Now that is using a platform!
Check out this video with Gary because it illustrates how the internet can be used to build your platform and get the word out there about your book. “This game is changing and if you're not on board, you're going to lose”
In this video, he talks about:
- How the “platform is redefined” – the power is now with you!
- You have got to care about your readers – and interact with them. You cannot be some distant person anymore.
- Twitter is “word of mouth on steroids” [Authors – THAT is the best marketing for your book!]
- Content is king. Quality stands out. Every one has a voice. Talk from your heart. Be passionate.
- Treat Twitter like a cocktail party. Talk about lots of different things. If people are interested, they will check you out.
- Everyone needs a platform, or a home base. Then you need to hustle!
- In the hours after your job, live in the communities where your niche is. Use search.twitter.com to find people in your niche.
[Thanks to @JohnKremer for the video link.]
Thank you for visiting The Creative Penn! For more top posts, try the Articles page or Podcasts for free audio.
Like this article? Subscribe to my RSS feed by email or in a RSS reader.