OLD POST ALERT! This is an older post and although you might find some useful tips, any technical or publishing information is likely to be out of date. Please click on Start Here on the menu bar above to find links to my most useful articles, videos and podcast. Thanks and happy writing! – Joanna Penn
Podcast: Download (Duration: 1:05:14 — 14.9MB)
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS | More
Roger C Parker is the author of 35 books which have sold over 1.6 million copies in 37 countries. He also runs the brilliant resource website for authors Published and Profitable. In this podcast Roger offers helpful hints and tools for authors to use so that they can build a platform and promote themselves. He also describes the journeys of other authors who have become successful in publishing.
In this show you will discover:
· How Roger got started and what he has learnt from his experience in publishing
· How the publishing industry is changing and why this offers opportunities for authors
· What a “platform” is, why you need one and how to build one
· The first thing an agent will do when they receive your query or submission letter
· How you can use mind maps to plan your work
· How to use article writing to promote your book
· Why you should have a blog and how to use it
· How to attract an agent or a publishing deal as opposed to chasing one
· Why authors need to know about all 4 steps: Plan, Write, Promote, Profit in order to be successful
· Some great stories of other authors who have had publishing success and what you can learn from them
· How to use Twitter effectively for promotion
· Ideas for ‘back-end’ products so you are not relying only on your book for income
You can find out more about Roger at Published and Profitable.
You can also follow him on Twitter.
I also did a review of the Published and Profitable program here if you would like to know more about it.
You can also subscribe to this podcast in iTunes here. Or download other episodes here.
Elley Miller says
I just wanted to say thank you.
I’ve recently found your site and started listening to your podcasts.
They are really helpful and I really loved this one, it was strait to the point and packed full of rich and helpful information.
Thank you for getting this information out there in a free and easy to accsess format.
Have a really wonderful week,
Joanna Penn says
Thank so much Elley – I’m so glad you are enjoying the site and do let me know any questions you have. There are lots more podcasts where this one came from!
Blessing Ehigie says
I have gone through your website and the contents are great. I will definately buy your books.I am currently working on my fiction and non fiction books.Hope to finish them before December this year. Keep up the good work.
Yvonne Carder says
I’m going through the back list of podcasts and I’m happy that this episode is still relevant even 8 years later! I’m in the process of working on my platform and trying to absorb as much as I can.
It’s interesting to hear Joanna as a young author; it gives me hope that I might be able to get close to where she is in 8 years. Thank you for sharing with us.
Joanna Penn says
Wow! amazing that you’re listening to the backlist 🙂 I’m too scared to!