Second Life is a 3D virtual online world where (amongst other things) authors and writers can connect, collaborate and learn online, from wherever they are in the ‘real' world. This podcast is with writer Joan Kremer who has a great blog, Writers in the Virtual Sky, about her experiences in SL and in this interview she reveals why it is so great for authors.
Joan Kremer is a professional business/non-fiction writer, novelist, short story writer, and editor of an online literary journal, Cezanne's Carrot. She is also co-owner of the Story Mountain Center for Writers in Second Life. Her avatar on SL is Alas Zerbino.
In this podcast you will learn:
- What Second Life is and how the basics work
- How SL benefits authors, as well as some of the events you can attend there
- How Ursula Le Guin spoke at a SL event
- Kurt Vonnegut in SL
- Why SL is great for people who cannot attend writer's groups or conferences because of distance, time or cost
- What Story Mountain is and how it can help authors connect as well as support for writing time
- How SL helped Joan with NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month)
- How you can use SL currency, Linden Dollars to buy and sell within SL
- How authors can make money selling their books on SL, teaching and other opportunities
- What an avatar is and how you can pick a name
- How to get started on SL
If you want to check out information about Second Life for authors, try these links:
- Joan's “A Writer's Guide to Learning about Second Life“
- Video tutorials for SL
- Juiced on Writing Second Life example events (for writers)
NEXT WEEK: Author 2.0 is launching on 1 June: Using web 2.0 tools to write, publish, sell and promote your book. I have interviewed 12 industry experts and next week's podcast will share some highlights from their interviews.
Thank you for visiting The Creative Penn! For more top posts, try the Articles page.
Like this article? Subscribe to my RSS feed by email or in a RSS reader.