Are you just starting out with self-publishing? In this interview, Grant Faulkner from NaNoWriMo interviews me about how to discover what publishing path is right for you, some tips for getting started and some of the practicalities of being a successful independent author.
You can watch the video below on here on YouTube. There are show notes with time-stamps and a transcript below.
The interview covers the following questions at the specific time-stamps if you want to jump through:
- [02:58] Did NaNoWriMo influence Joanna's entrepreneurial spirit?
- [04:15] How to determine which publishing path is right for you – check out the pros and cons of traditional vs self-publishing here
- [07:55] The speed of self-publishing
- [09:53] Does self-publishing eliminate the chances for publishing traditionally? [No, it doesn't. Listen to the interview with literary agent, Barbara Poelle, where we also discuss this issue.]
- [12:08] What happens after an indie author writes a book — and before they publish? [More on what happens after the first draft including editing here.]
- [16:00] When do you know your book is ready for an editor?
- [19:48] The stages of writing and finishing a project
- [21:52] What to expect to pay an editor – find my list of recommended editors here
- [25:30] What formats should authors consider publishing in? – find my formatting help here
- [29:15] Tips about book cover design – find my list of book cover designers here
- [32:55] When and how to create a publishing imprint. You don't need one, but here's how I created Curl Up Press
- [36:44] How do indie authors distribute their books? [More on publishing options here]
- [38:30] Tips on publishing books written by children – check out this interview with children's author and publisher, Karen Inglis
- [41:00] Advice on when to start marketing a book [More on book marketing here.]
- [43:30] How to develop a writing community
- [45:08] Thoughts on online writing communities like Wattpad
- [48:04] Bouncing back after a ‘failed' book — what is your definition of success?
- [52:15] What does it cost to publish an audiobook? [More on audiobooks in my new book, Audio for Authors.]
- [54:34] How to price your book
- [56:08] Giving books away to hook readers as a marketing strategy
- [57:10] Motivation for young writers