Do you want to write a non-fiction book but don't know where to start? Or perhaps you worry that you're not an expert or have enough authority in your niche to write a book on it?
Written by Joanna Penn, narrated by Caroline Holroyd
The first non-fiction book I wrote changed my life. Sure, it helped other people, but mostly it altered the course of my life – so much so that 10 years later, I make a living with my writing.
In this book, I'll share everything I've learned along the way and save you time, effort and frustration on your author journey.
Table of Contents:
Part 1. Before You Write: Mindset
- Why write a non-fiction book?
- Can I write a book if I'm not an expert?
- Originality. Or, “there are so many other books on this topic”
- Who are you? Personal stories and the writer's voice
- The day a non-fiction book changed my life
- Fear and self-doubt
Part 2. Before You Write: Business
- Types of non-fiction books
- Business models for non-fiction books
- Who is your book for? Identify your target market
- Decide on the topic for your book
- Decide on your book title
- Your author name and pseudonyms
- How long does your book have to be?
- How long will it take to write the book?
- Your perspective on time
- Writing a book proposal
Part 3. Writing and Editing
- Gather and organize existing material
- Research, interviews, surveys, and social listening
- Structure and organize the book
- How to write the first draft
- How to dictate your book
- Turn your blog/podcasts/videos/talks into a book
- Speed, quality and perfectionism
- Focus and shiny object syndrome
- Writer's block
- Co-writing a non-fiction book
- How to turn a boring book into an engaging read
- Elements of fiction in non-fiction
- Does non-fiction have to be true?
- Legal issues: Using real people, quotes, lyrics, images, and citing sources
- Self-editing a book
- How to find and work with professional editors
Part 4. Publishing and Product Creation
- Your publishing options
- Use different formats to create multiple streams of income
- Non-fiction book covers
- Book formatting for non-fiction
- Pricing your book
- Your book sales description
- Categories and keywords
- Turn your non-fiction book into a multimedia course
- Updating your books over time
Part 5. Marketing Non-Fiction
- Two models of marketing and the importance of mindset
- Book-centered marketing
- Paid advertising for non-fiction books
- Author-centered marketing. The power of a personal brand
- Build your author website
- Build an email list
- Integrate email marketing with your book
- Content marketing for non-fiction books
- My non-fiction marketing journey
Conclusion and your next steps.
It's time to (finally) write your non-fiction book!
Also available in ebook, paperback, hardback, large print, and workbook editions
Click below for more information and links.