OLD POST ALERT! This is an older post and although you might find some useful tips, any technical or publishing information is likely to be out of date. Please click on Start Here on the menu bar above to find links to my most useful articles, videos and podcast. Thanks and happy writing! – Joanna Penn
I recorded this video for the Gulf Coast Writer's Conference recently and I thought you might find it interesting as well. It's 26 mins long and contains slides and images as well as my talking head 🙂
Thanks to thriller author Michael Lister for the invitation! I also recently interviewed Michael about his religious thrillers, if you like similar fiction to me.
I answer the following questions:
- To me you are the epitome of an indie author and entrepreneur. Can you share with us the journey that has gotten you here?
- What percentage of your time is spent being an author and what percentage an entrepreneur? What do you think a person needs to be both?
- What is your writing routine? How long does it typically take you to write a novel?
- Can you touch on author platform for us?
- Can you tell us what you think works best for indie authors, what those who are experiencing success are doing best?
- What are the biggest mistakes you see authors making?
- Can you touch on what you're doing in foreign markets and translations?
- Write. Publish. Repeat. Respond 🙂
I'd love to know if you like these type of videos, as I could do more of them to answer more of your questions. So please do let me know in the comments a) if you like this style of video post and b) what are the questions you'd like me to answer.