We all understand how difficult it is to write, publish and market a book, but author and artist Win Charles has more challenge than most.
In this short video [16 mins], you will learn:
- Win explains a little about cerebral palsy and also her (slight) speech impediment. But her condition hasn't stopped her!
- Win wrote ‘I, Win: My journey as a disabled woman living a non-disabled life‘ as a biography, partly as her own therapy after her mother died, but also as a way to help others become inspired. Having cerebral palsy doesn't mean you can't do some amazing things. It's really important for people with cerebral palsy and disabilities to move because stiffness can set in. [I point out that we all should move more!]
- How Win identified the dream of wanting to write a book and she presented this to her friends and family as part of a leadership course, so she declared that goal to a group of people. [Actually writing down your goal is always a fantastic first step towards achieving it!]
- How Win actually wrote the book as she has challenges with physically writing. She tried to work with a team of ghostwriters but that fell through. Her speech impediment means it's hard to train a speech-to-text program like Nuance Dragons so in the end, she used Siri on the iPhone and then a professional editor to polish the work.
- Win used Createspace.com to publish the print book of I, Win. It's also available on Audible and all ebook sites through Smashwords.
- Win talks about marketing by being on all the social media sites as well as focusing on her own YouTube channel. Win did have already have an audience through her art business that she started in 2007 and she also recommends asking friends and family to help.
- Win does a regular video blog on YouTube and this is starting to be a significant marketing channel. [I know many people are worried about their face and their voice on video but Win shows you how to get over these negative thoughts and just do it!] I mention the video she did on the physio walker, Alter G where she is supported by an inflatable. There's also this video of Win at the gym with her workout. It's a fascinating glimpse into another life.
- Win gives some inspiration for others who face similar challenges: Never give up. Write down your thoughts and consider self-publishing. Reach out to support groups.
You can buy I,Win: in print and ebook format on Amazon as well as audio on Audible.
You can find Win at her site, AuthorWinCharles.com and also on Facebook
Plus, you can check out her YouTube channel/iwinbook
Please do leave any comments or questions for Win below.