OLD POST ALERT! This is an older post and although you might find some useful tips, any technical or publishing information is likely to be out of date. Please click on Start Here on the menu bar above to find links to my most useful articles, videos and podcast. Thanks and happy writing! – Joanna Penn
You will know by now how much I love new technologies and publishing!
A few weeks ago, I bought ‘Embassy' as an iPhone app, one of the first Vooks from Simon & Schuster. I enjoyed it and I can see the amazing potential with this platform. I was so excited when Vook agreed to an interview for the podcast, so here it is!
Matthew Cavnar is Brand Director at Vook, a company producing books with new technology blending ebooks and video to create a whole new experience for the reader. They have recently launched the first 4 Vooks with Simon & Schuster.
In this podcast you will learn:
- What is a Vook anyway? A new innovation that blends a book with videos and connects with social media to create a whole new experience in story.
- What the first Vooks are about and which genres were targeted
- How ‘Return to Beauty' was picked up by women's health- Vital Juice – health and lifestyle. Natural facial creams that show you how to make them. The videos are showing you how-to and even take your mobile device to the store.
- How the romantic fiction Vook ‘Promises' by Jude Deveraux was on the front page of the iPhone app store, which is a huge boost for sales
- The aim of the videos are to bring the story to life for the fiction, increase immersion into the story
- How the company Vook got started, and their partnership with publishers to deliver video experiences in this new genre. How the vision for this new publishing venture came into being and the excitement of being involved with a new invention!
- The possibilities that the Vook enables are exciting – what could the future look like when books can go multi-media on hand-held devices? Think about travel books, cookery books and also story enhancing videos… there is so much potential!
- This is video supporting books – not a fully-fledged film set producing movies. The story has to support the concept of video.
- How doing a video of the author really enhanced the Vook, and some potential applications for this for future Vooks, including having a book club in your Vook, or Vooks that just feature author interviews for future book releases.
- A brief discussion on the price point for the Vooks – premium products cost more.
- What is the potential for self-published authors to use the Vook platform? Vook specializes in producing high-quality video right now, but the company is very new and they are looking at possibilities.
- What is the future of ebooks and where does Vook fit? Technology is catching up and the (possible) Apple tablet is possibly the break though device where technology catches up with ideas. There's room for different technologies though and text-only devices are still appealing, like the Kindle.