Amazon announced their Encore program last week. So what is it and why is it potentially a game-changer for traditional publishing?
Amazon introduces Encore as “Unearthing Exceptional Books and Emerging Authors for More Readers to Enjoy”.
AmazonEncore is a new program whereby Amazon will use information such as customer reviews on Amazon.com to identify exceptional, overlooked books and authors with more potential than their sales may indicate. Amazon will then partner with the authors to re-introduce their books to readers through marketing support and distribution into multiple channels and formats, such as the Amazon.com Books Store, Amazon Kindle Store, Audible.com, and national and independent bookstores via third-party wholesalers.
They begin with the publishing and promotion of “Legacy”, written by a 14 year-old whose book will be republished in Fall 2009.
Wow! Essentially, this means that self-published authors who can get some sales success and whose books are popular with customers on Amazon can be published by the biggest book-store on the planet with a database of millions of customers. That is pretty exciting news!
Get publishing on Amazon, and get promoting!
As an author chasing publication, would you rather be published by a small imprint of Harper Collins – or by Amazon?
If you are a mega-bestselling author, would you also like to be published by Amazon? Now that is the possible game-changing question.
I am excited to find out what happens next, because it levels the playing field even further for self-published authors. Remember, you can get your book on Amazon without a publisher! (here’s how to do it if you don’t know)
Here is a round-up of other articles commenting on the program:
- Press release Introducing Amazon Encore
- AmazonEncore Is Amazon’s First Step Toward Dominating Publishing – via Dear Author Excellent article – also read the comments!
- Eoin Purcell examines the deal in detail
- Amazon as Producer by PersonaNonData
- “the new publishing program, while focused on self-published books with promise, could also target out-of-print titles from major houses”, from Publishers Weekly post
- Kindle plus Amazon Encore = slow death of traditional publishing – on the model of new publishing and authors who will make it happen!
The dominance of Amazon (and also Google) reminded me of this video – the future of media by the Philip K. Dick avatar – very cool!
Thank you for visiting The Creative Penn! For more top posts, try the Articles page.
Like this article? Subscribe to my RSS feed by email or in a RSS reader.