Creative challenge is part of why we do what we do and my first co-writing experience has had its ups and downs, but overall, it’s been fantastic! Here are the two books that J. Thorn and I have written together – a dark fantasy thriller and a little book on how we did it, and how you can too.
Co-Writing a Book: Collaboration and Co-Creation for Writers
You can listen to J. Thorn and I discuss co-writing in this podcast, but now you can also buy the short book that goes into the process and our lessons learned.
Warning: it contains some of our unedited daily writing diary!
The book goes through:
- What is co-writing?
- What are the benefits of co-writing?
- The difficulties of co-writing
- Finding the right person to co-write with
- Before you start: written legal agreement
- Practicalities and process
- Excerpts from our Risen Gods writing diary
- What happens if it all goes wrong?
- Other types of collaboration and co-creation
- Tips for multi-author boxsets
- Tips for managing a multi-author collaboration
- PLUS/ an example agreement that you can use as the basis for your own
Buy now in ebook formats.
Risen Gods. A dark fantasy thriller.
When a tidal wave strikes the coast of New Zealand, Ben Henare and Lucy Campion are separated in the chaotic aftermath.
As earthquakes shake the land and volcanoes erupt on the Pacific Rim of Fire, Ben wrestles with his Maori heritage as he faces the supernatural powers that threaten the land of Aotearoa. He must fight his way north on a quest through ice caves and oceans, battling the manifestations of the evil god Whiro and the creatures of the sky.
Lucy faces personal tragedy and human evil on her own trek, confronting a mighty demon of the deep as she crosses into the Cook Strait. Then Ruaumoko, god of the volcano, stirs, and the powers of the land threaten to pull the country into the sea.
As the people they love are threatened and Aotearoa begins to crumble in the face of natural disaster, can Ben and Lucy battle the Risen Gods to find each other again and save the country from destruction?
Risen Gods is a dark fantasy action adventure set against the backdrop of Aotearoa/New Zealand, rich with the myth and history of the island.