Independent publishing is partly about how we creatively express our words in print. In this video interview, I discuss the brilliant ways in which adventurer Alastair Humphreys has published his latest travel book, There Are Other Rivers.
Alastair Humphreys is an adventurer, an author and motivational speaker. This year he has been nominated for National Geographic’s Adventurer of the Year.
- Alastair talks about his trip across southern India following a holy river. The book is more of a rumination on traveling and the journey. I loved the book and absolutely recommend it if you have wanderlust.
- Alastair discusses the reasons why he became an adventurer. The personal challenge and achievement as well as the fun.
- The various incarnations of the book: it’s a full size map, a paperback, a hardback photography coffee table book as well as an ebook and app plus print on demand.
- Alastair used FoldedSheet.com to produce the map and you can buy one here. He used Blurb.com for the coffee table book and iPad app, and Createspace for the paperback. I am totally inspired by this and want to make one myself I really believe the future of print is beautiful limited edition pieces.
- How Alastair has been anti-ebooks until recently but has now converted to a Kindle. He’s even taking one on his row across the Atlantic in January. Why ebooks are great value for money.
- How Alastair has moved from traditional publishing into self-publishing for this book and will blend the two in the future. It was about a truly independent project from the walk alone through the publishing process alone. The various creative print options were also easier alone and much faster than working with a traditional publisher.
- Planning for 2012. Alastair is leaving next week to row across the Atlantic and is taking his Kindle with him. He’s also planning to make it to the South Pole. You can follow his journeys on his site and also on Twitter. Yes, Al is available for inspirational speaking globally!