This fantastic podcast roams over some interesting topics so I hope you enjoy it!
Warning: There is some questionable language and talk of horror, violence and religion so please don’t listen if you might be offended.
Alan Baxter is the author of dark fantasy novels Realmshift and Magesign as well as many short stories. He owns an independent publishing company, Blade Red Press and his novels have just been picked up by Gryphonwood Press. He is an indie author success story! You can find his blog, novels and stories at AlanBaxterOnline.com
In this podcast, you will learn:
- How indie author Alan got a deal with Gryphonwood Press and also his opinions on how self-publishing can help authors who take it seriously
- Why writing about myths, religion and the supernatural are fascinating topics and can help readers resonate with the story
- How these topics can offend people, but writers need to write what is driving them and not be concerned about what others think. Don’t compromise your story.
- To write in a genre, read as much as possible. If you are using established mythologies, you must stay true to the myth.
- On writing graphic violence and horror vs thriller
- On making bad guys who are demons and therefore not 3D. Does this go against the writing ‘rules’?
- Tips for writing interesting fight scenes by Alan, who is a Kung Fu Instructor and personal trainer. No 1 rule: Run away!
- Can an author go from self-published to indie author/small press to being picked up by a traditional publisher? Yes, and how Alan’s journey has developed.
You can connect with Alan on twitter @AlanBaxter