OLD POST ALERT! This is an older post and although you might find some useful tips, any technical or publishing information is likely to be out of date. Please click on Start Here on the menu bar above to find links to my most useful articles, videos and podcast. Thanks and happy writing! – Joanna Penn
One of the fundamental things an author needs is to build a list of fans who like their work.
This gives you control of sales, because on launch day you can move your book up the charts through the power of the list and even if Amazon disappears, you will still be able to sell books. I promote the importance of lists all the time, but many authors still haven't grasped the important aspects.
In today's video interview, Dan Blank from We Grow Media talks about the importance of building a list and how to use it effectively which he covers in his new guide, The Writer's Guide to Email Marketing. Dan helps writers grow their platforms and publishers grow their communities so he is passionate about this space. You can watch the video below, or here on YouTube.
In the video, we discuss:
- How Dan works with the craft of platform, helping writers with reader discovery, branding and connection.
- What is email marketing and why should authors care? How you can be marketing without being spammy
- Why use email when there are other social mechanisms like Twitter and Facebook?
- How to set up an email list from a practical side and also a psychological point of view
- What services can you use? We discuss Aweber (affiliate link) which I use and also Mailchimp
- How your list will grow slowly over time and if you don't start a list you will regret it. I mention one author who suddenly made it big on Amazon and didn't capture interest in a list. Don't wait until you are huge!
- Once you have a list, what do you do with it? On newsletters and updates as well as formats (plain text is great as many people read email on cellphones now).
- On privacy and anti-spam laws and some of the ‘rules' around list building
Dan's new guide, A Writer's Guide to Email Marketing contains everything you need to know about why and how list marketing works.
It's $29.99 so click here to check out more details or to buy the guide.
You can find Dan at www.WeGrowMedia.com and also on twitter @DanBlank