I learned a ton of new stuff about social media in this interview with Frances Caballo from SocialMediaJustForWriters. I know you will too!
I've scheduled this in advance as I am away in New York for Thrillerfest. In the intro I mention Deviance, which is out on pre-order right now at a reduced price of US$2.99. It's also July so I reflect on my own 2015 goals at this mid year point and encourage you to reflect on your own.
This podcast episode is sponsored by 99 Designs, where you can get all kinds of designs for your author business including book covers, merchandising, branding and business cards, illustrations and artwork and much more. You can get a Powerpack upgrade which gives your project more chance of getting noticed by going to: 99Designs.com/joanna
Frances Caballo is an author and social media strategist and runs the fantastic site, Social Media Just for Writers.
- On the time suck of social media and how to avoid it, including Frances' four-step process for an effective social media strategy. You can also check out Frances' book: Avoid Social Media Time Suck.
- Why social media is not the Shopping Channel and the importance of following the social rules.
- On authenticity, being genuine and being consistent with your brand, while still respecting your own boundaries about what personal information you share.
- On which sites writers should be on based on the demographics of the audience for their specific genre.
- The importance of a professional presence on social media, including avatars and bios.
- Tips for Pinterest and ways to create more traffic to your blog, including tracking where traffic is coming from, as well as tips about creating and managing images for the various social media sites. Using WordPress plugin Social Warfare for more shareable images.
- On the new mobile video app Periscope, now owned by Twitter.
- Advertising and the issue of some social media sites being pay to play now, as well as balancing the different type of marketing strategies that are available – content marketing, attraction marketing and paid advertising.
- The future of social media, including Project Lightning on Twitter.
You can find Frances at her website, SocialMediaJustForWriters.com and on twitter @caballofrances