Ryan Holiday has worked with some big names in the non-fiction book world, including Tim Ferriss and Tucker Max, and I'm thrilled to bring you this interview with him around his own latest book, “The Obstacle is the Way: The Ancient Art of Turning Adversity to Advantage.”
In the introduction, I mention the latest Author Earnings report, plus how our indie panel went at Bristol CrimeFest and why you should read ‘Opening up to Indie Authors‘ if you want to get into literary festivals as well as bookstores, libraries etc.
This podcast is sponsored by Kobo Writing Life, which helps authors self-publish and reach readers in global markets through the Kobo eco-system. You can also subscribe to the Kobo Writing Life podcast for interviews with successful indie authors.
Ryan Holiday is a media strategist for corporate brands and best-selling authors like Tim Ferriss and Tucker Max, as well as the Wall Street Journal best-selling author of “Trust Me I’m Lying: Confessions of a media manipulator,” and today we’re talking about his new book, “The Obstacle is the Way: The Ancient Art of Turning Adversity to Advantage.”
- What is Stoicism anyway and how Ryan integrates that into his life
- How to find an emotionally even keel as an author in this crazy up and down life
- Crafting stories and how to use that in non-fiction books
- Creating a body of work and what really matters over the longer term
- Definitions of success
- How reading is changing and how it impacts authors
- How Ryan researches his non-fiction books and how he tracks quotes using index cards
- The importance of figuring out what you want to say, and why a proposal can help with that
- The best ways to market a non-fiction book right now, and some of the biggest time wasters
- Thoughts on the future of publishing