Do you want to sell more books and reach more readers?
Do you want to discover how to build an author career for the long-term as well as spike your book sales right now?
If you don’t know much about marketing, don’t worry. We all start with nothing.
I’m Joanna Penn and back in 2008, I had no book sales, no audience, no website, no social media, no podcast, no email list. No nothing.
Now I’m a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of thrillers and non-fiction. My books have sold over 500,000 copies in 162 countries, and I’m an award-winning creative entrepreneur and international speaker, making a multi-six-figure income with my writing.
Learning how to market my books and my personal brand changed my life.
Yes, you need to write an awesome book, but you also need to know how to get it in front of the right readers.
How to Market a Book is for authors who want to sell more books, but it's also for those writers who want to think like an entrepreneur and build a long-term income. It's for traditionally published authors who want to take control of their future, and for self-published authors who want to jump-start a career.
It's also about going beyond just the book, because these methods can take you from being an author into making money from other products, professional speaking, and creating opportunities that you can't even imagine yet.
In this completely updated Third Edition, you’ll discover:
Part 1: Marketing Principles
- The marketing mindset
- Polarities of marketing
- When to start marketing and how to balance your time
Part 2: Your Book Fundamentals
- Prerequisites for success
- Writing your blurb, or book sales description
- How to choose the right categories and keywords
- How to use Amazon Author Central
- Sampling. Why your first few pages are so important for ebook readers
- The pros and cons of exclusivity when self-publishing through Amazon
- Pricing your book and the use of free
- Box-sets and bundling
- Writing a series
Part 3: No Platform Needed. Short-term Marketing
- Why book reviews are so important
- How to get customer reviews on your books
- How to get reviews from book bloggers
- Paid advertising: Email blasts
- Paid advertising: Facebooks, Amazon, and other ad platforms
- Case study: How to hit a bestseller list with ad stacking
- Algorithm hacking, big data and production speed
Part 4: Your Author Platform. Long-term Marketing
- What is an author platform and why bother?
- Your author brand
- Using pseudonyms as an author
- Professional author photos
- Integrity, authenticity, generosity, social karma
- Your author website
- How to build an email list
- Content marketing
- Should you have an author blog?
- Mistakes that authors make with blogging
- Guest blogging
- Image marketing
- How to sell books using social media
- Social networking tips
- Examples of how I use social media sites for each of my author brands
- Should you create a podcast?
- How to produce and market a podcast
- Video marketing
- Marketing audiobooks
- Marketing print books
- Traditional media and PR
- How to get media attention with a newsworthy story
- Tips for TV and radio
Part 5: Marketing Strategy and Book Launches
- Your book marketing strategy
- Aspects of a book launch
- Relaunching older books