OLD POST ALERT! This is an older post and although you might find some useful tips, any technical or publishing information is likely to be out of date. Please click on Start Here on the menu bar above to find links to my most useful articles, videos and podcast. Thanks and happy writing! – Joanna Penn
There are so many social networking sites out there now, it is hard for an author to decide where to spend any time!
BookBuzzr is a site with an extra feature that is pretty useful! It has a handy little widget that enables people to browse inside your book as well as find links to buy it.
Here is the widget I just produced for one of my books “From Idea to Book: Writing, Self-Publishing and Print-on-Demand…for your book”. You can click on it and a new window will open with my book contents in it. You can flick through the pages by clicking the top right corner. It is actually very effective.
The process is pretty simple:
- Sign up and create a profile at BookBuzzr
- Load a part of your book or all of it (I am a fan of 100% browsing as in a real bookstore)
- Add all the extras – reviews, interviews, and of course, links to Buy the Book from various places.
- Use the “Share” Tool to post the widget all over the place – it includes Facebook, Twitter and the usual social networks
- Use the Embed code to put the widget in your blog as I have done above
This took me all of about 5 minutes to create because I just did the basics. It is definitely something you could add to your box of marketing tricks for your book. It allows people to browse before they buy which is great – like Amazon Search Inside or Google Book Search.
I am going to build new websites for each of my 3 books in the next few months so I will add these widgets to those sites as a little extra.