In today’s podcast, Dan Blank and I have a candid discussion on the latest developments in publishing, as well as how to combat platform fatigue.
In the intro, I talk about my trip to India and my 2 year anniversary as a full-time author-entrepreneur. I also mention the opportunity of using PubMatch through the Alliance of Independent Authors for foreign rights, as well as my speaking engagements. We also have a message from podcast sponsors Kobo Writing Life, which helps authors self-publish and reach readers in global markets through the Kobo eco-system.
Dan Blank is a professional speaker and consultant to the publishing industry. He teaches authors how to grow their platform and target readers through his online articles, courses and conference. You can watch the interview on YouTube here, or listen in the podcast stream or on iTunes.
- How Dan got started in the creative space, how he got into the publishing business, and how all that has collided now into his business, We Grow Media where he works with writers and the publishing industry.
- If the author is the source, and the reader is the destination, what role does the middleman play? We discuss the changing structure of the publishing world.
- Authors are experiencing a fatigue around “platform.” Dan explains his definition of platform – communicating effectively with the people you want to reach and engender trust in the process. He talks about how to reframe platform and refocus on goals. We discuss trust and authenticity, and the fundamental principles around platform, rather than the technology and the ‘latest’ headlines that can distract.
- Getting some perspective and thinking long term. Embracing patience and consistency for the long-term. The importance of relationships that you forge in real-life or cyber-space.
- How the stigma of publishing has pretty much disappeared in the US. On foreign markets and other opportunities.
- On social reading and how Goodreads integration with Kindle Paperwhite and Fire might work for authors
Dan’s running an online conference for authors, Get Read, on Nov 13-14, 2013, focused on helping you ensure your books get read.
He also has articles and video for authors at WeGrowMedia.com
Find him on twitter @danblank