Today, I’m really excited to bring you a fantastic interview with Bob Mayer, who definitely counts as one of the leaders of the indie community.
In the intro, I talk about DRM and some of the things we need to be aware of as authors. The next blog post will go into this in more detail.
This podcast is sponsored by Kobo Writing Life, which helps authors self-publish and reach readers in global markets through the Kobo eco-system. You can also subscribe to the Kobo Writing Life podcast for interviews with successful indie authors.
Bob Mayer is a West Point Graduate, Former Green Beret, CEO of Cool Gus Publishing and a NY Times Bestselling Author. With 60 books published, Bob has sold over four million books, and is also a leadership speaker and consultant.
- Discipline and putting in the work as an author
- How authors lie and some of the myths around sales figures and the industry
- How to stay afloat in the river of digital books
- Focusing on a niche for long term success
- Longevity as a writer
- How Bob works with his COO, Jen Talty to run Cool Gus Publishing
- On the mindset of successful indies and the lure of control
- Multiple streams of income and how Bob manages his speaking as well as writing
- On the future of foreign rights, subscriptions services and other things to consider for the next few years of publishing upheaval
- The themes that span Bob’s fiction work – you can check out a sampler here
- What writers can learn from TV