An e-book is basically the same text as a print book can be, but it’s sold electronically in a format compatible with ebook readers, for example mobipocket for Kindle or ePub for iPad. It can also be a special report, images, and useful material in PDF format that you can give away for free on your site like the Author 2.0 Blueprint available here.
The benefits of an e-book are:
· It can be sold to anyone in the world over the internet with no printing or shipping costs, therefore your market is instantly expanded beyond local bookstores.
· You can make more money selling an e-book than a print book. For example, the profit on a $27 e-book is about $24 (credit card/Paypal fees). Whereas for a $27 print book, it is about $3. However, as ebooks become more common, prices are dropping.
· You can write e-books more quickly than print books and they have a lower cost to produce.
· There is no set price for an e-book and many people combine them with other audio and video products to create packages selling for thousands of dollars. People know how much a print book costs so they will never pay more than a certain amount.
· It is another sales channel. You don’t need to stop doing print books as an e-book is just another way to sell.
· Once setup, e-book sales are passive income. The money just comes into your bank account without you doing anything else. No printing, shipping, no receipts, no documentation – just sales and profit.
- You can include interactive material in an ebook hyperlinking to websites and other material
The process for creating an e-book is:
· Finish your book
· Create your book in MS Word or in other word processing software programs.
· Publish it as an ebook in multiple formats using a site like Smashwords so it can be purchased by cell phone or over the internet.
· Or/ Save it as a .PDF format and sell it from your website
I have found e-books to be a brilliant way of making passive income. Once it is set up, the money comes in when people buy online and you don’t have to do a thing. Soon after loading my first e-book, we were watching a movie at home. I logged on afterwards and I had made money. That was my first online sale and I was so excited! I made money while watching a movie! It was just a start, but I’m focusing on growing this area of sales, as well as having print books.
I now offer a multi-media online short course on how to publish your book on the Kindle, iPad, Nook and other e-readers as well as answers to all your ebook publishing questions. Featuring video, audio and PDF information for only $39.99.